Hi Barry,
     I think what I am seeing is related to your experience. I ran through some
additional testing. I see perhaps some slight differences between ANT1 and ANT2
positions as far as SWR readings, but nothing significant, at least on 40
meters.
     I do now see something I’m even more puzzled over. While collecting SWR
readings into a dummy load on 10 meters, I initially did see a high (2.0:1)
reading on the K3 meter. I switched in the K3 tuner, and brought the SWR down
to 1:1.  But when I then bypassed the tuner, the low 1:1 SWR remained.  This
was true for either ANT1 or ANT2.  I really don’t understand that.
     So back to 40 meters, where I first noticed the high SWR anomaly. I
thought I would try the tuner again, and then bypass it, to see if SWR would
stay low on the K3 meter as it did on 10 meters.  It did not.  So I still have
the anomaly on 40 meters, and it is the same on either ANT1 or ANT2 positions.
     To summarize:
1.  SWR using a dummy load on 40 meters remains constant using an external
LP-100A meter, but varies greatly using the K3 meter. As you tune up in
frequency on the 40 meter band, the SWR on the K3 meter rises to almost 3:1,
and the K3 output power drops back significantly.
2. Antenna tuner settings appear to “stick” on 10 meters, even when the tuner
is bypassed.

I believe some users, assuming there are others that have K3s which would
exhibit this behavior, may not have noticed this anomaly. I do believe it may
be responsible for what some users have noticed when using their K3 with an amp
such as the KPA1500. That is, power overshoot. I suspect the K3, at least for
me on 40 meters, is folding back power in response to a false SWR reading, and
this can be seen in how the KPA1500 amp correspondingly drops back in power as
the user transmits.  That is perhaps why (again, for my situation) I see the
power overshoot only on 40 meters when using my KPA1500.
--Ed—

Sent from Mail for Windows 10