Looking at the KAT3 schematic indicates that in bypass all the relays are set such that all the series inductors are individually short circuited and all the capacitors are open circuit. This potentially introduces strays due to the short circuit inductors, relays and pcb tracks still in the RF path.

I believe it is mentioned on the Elecraft web site that this is the reason for the KAT3A having a "true bypass" or words to that effect.

It was suggested that you could tune out the strays by tuning the ATU into a dummy load rather than simply putting it in bypass.

I've just checked my KAT3 action by tuning each band via the Ant1 port into an Oak Hills Research 100W dummy load and comparing the result with simply bypassing it.

All the way from 160m to 10m both states "Auto" and "Bypass" read 1.0-1
On 6m both read 1.1-1.

I normally have the KAT3 in "bypass" given that much of the time my K3 is looking at the input circuit of an Acom 1000 or the antennas are already an acceptable match. There were clearly some long forgotten tuning solutions still sitting in the atu memory which were tuned out whilst feeding the dummy load.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO