No. The transceiver port is meant to receive data from a connected Elecraft or
Kenwood transceiver. It acts on data responses received from those devices.
Specifically, it is looking of the following command responses from the
transceiver: FA;, FB;, FR;, FT;, or IF;.  The entire purpose of the XCVR port
is to provide another method to obtain the operating band from the transceiver.

When it is set to poll the transceiver for data, it sends the following
sequence: IF;FA;FB;

If you send any KPA500 commands, as described in the programmer’s reference to
the transceiver port, they will be ignored. Likewise transceiver responses sent
to the PC port will also be ignored. It is significant that the transceiver
port uses a male DE9 connector - the same as used on a standard PC, While the
XCVR port uses a female DE9 the same as used on peripheral equipment..

Page 4 of the KPA500 operating manual alludes to the differences in the two
ports. For the XCVR port, it states: "RS232 (XVCR) connects the KPA500 to a
Kenwood transceiver using a standard 9-pin serial cable. This connector cannot
be used to update KPA500 firmware (see pg 20).”.  While for the PC port the
text is: "RS232 (PC) connects the KPA500 to your personal computer with a
standard 9-pin serial cable. Required for updating the KPA500 firmware.”.
The important piece of information here is the update text. Firmware updates,
and other control commands, must be sent to the KPA500’s PC port. Sending them
to the XCVR port will do nothing as far as the amplifier is concerned.

73!,
Jack, W6FB