Filter caps bad?  AC on the DC supply side maybe?  A well made linear supply
does not make noise that has to be filtered otherwise.  All switching
supplies must be cleaned up because their design generates noise.

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of K9MA
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 8:13 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Astron linear PS regulation issues

That's interesting. About the only way I know that a linear supply can be
noisy is if the regulator oscillates. That can easily happen. Most of them
use emitter followers, which are often unstable driving a capacitive load.
That's usually easy to fix by inserting a small inductance between the
emitter of the transistor and the load. A few turns of the appropriate sized
wire around a ferrite bead usually works.

73,
Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA