On 3/24/2019 4:41 PM, Dave Cole (NK7Z) wrote:
Have you found a good speaker for the K3?  If so, which one is it?

For any serious operating, I always use headphones. Speakers are for casual monitoring. If I were to recommend a speaker, it would be: 1)for one with very smooth frequency response between 400 Hz and 5 kHz; 2) 4 ohm impedance; 3) a small diaphragm, and 4) high voltage sensitivity.

Contrary to popular misconceptions, wider range response is not a bad thing.Smooth response in the speech region is important. 4 ohm impedance means it will receive more power from the K3. A smaller diaphragm provides smoother off-axis frequency response, high voltage sensitivity means it will be louder. BUT -- #3 and #4 are conflicting design specs -- smaller diaphragms have lower voltage sensitivity.

I've used small hi-fi and pro loudspeakers and like the sound, but they burn too much space on my operating desk now that I have three video monitors (two P3s, and an extension of the computer's desktop). I replaced them with little black cubes a few inches that I bought as a box of 10 at a Chicago area hamfest about 15 years ago. They're plenty good enough for my needs. I also use them in the car for my dual-transceiver FM rig, strapped to the two posts on my headrest (two of them so that  I can tell which transceiver the audio is coming from).

73, Jim K9YC