Bob and all,

Based on that thinking, it may be that Elecraft could produce an SMD version of the K2 in that price class - call it the "K2S". Yes, it would not be a full kit like the current K2, but would solve a lot of problems that are encountered with the disappearing of Thru-hole components from the marketplace.

The current K2 design even though 20 years old still has a competitive receiver (see the Sherwood RX listing), and many hams appreciate the fully analog design - which could be ported to SMD with board layout design but not the basic analog circuitry. Using black paint would differentiate it from the current gray K2.

A K2S with a built-in KSB2, KNB2, KAF2, K60XV and K160RX plus KIO2 and KAT2, but with an added IF output for connection for the P3 (or other IF based panadapter devices like LP-Pan) to the might be a seller in the low price marketplace and could be offered as a QRP transceiver. The existing KPA100 and KAT100 could work with it, and could still be offered as amplifier and ATU thru-hole solder your own kits.

Of course, the counter to that argument is that the KX3 already provides that same capability for a price in the range that you mentioned and a lot more function. The only "gotcha" is that it is only 15 watts, but the KXPA100 and KXAT100 adds 100 watt and ATU capability while retaining the portability.

This is pure speculation on my part (prompted by Bob's post), I do not know of any plans to do the things I have mentioned. Elecraft seems to remain committed to providing a full "solder your own" kit for those who want to actually solder the parts in place, and my suggestion of a "K2S" would run counter to that commitment, although the KPA100 amplifier and KAT100 ATU could remain "build your own".

73,
Don W3FPR