Re. Gwen, NG3P comment:  I should probably see an audiologist someday. I've
had nasty tinnitus as
long as I can remember.

Yes, you should...no, you MUST!  It is amazing how much hearing deficiencies
affect us and we don't even know it.  I am not a doctor or audiologist, but I
suspect that if you have tinnitus, you probably have some hearing loss.

 There are lots of good instruments (hearing aids) on the market today spread
over a wide price range.  I have tried many of them (including Kirkland brand
from Costco), and they all differ somewhat, but have one thing in common.  They
are only as good as the audiologist who adjusts them (in my case the Costco
audiologist was not very good), and your willingness to allow your brain to
accept them (your brain must learn to use them).  If either of these are
factors are not there, you are wasting your money, and you will continue to
suffer.  You may not realize you are suffering, but everyone around you will.

Do not expect immediate results.  You may hate them initially.  You can hear
yourself talk...and breathe!  Wear them anyway, all day long when possible.  Do
not expect things to be perfect after one visit to the audiologist.  Do not
expect the tinnitus to go away immediately, or stay away!  It all takes time.
You must learn.  The brain responds to suggestions, so with my instruments in
and operating, I am experiencing ringing simply because I am reading and
writing on this thread.  I do know that it will go away once my mind is
distracted to a different topic.  Before hearing aids, there was no relief.
The ringing was with me most all the time, and it was driving me crazy!

Sorry, I probably pulled this a bit more off-topic, but I feel that it is
important for us to fix our own hearing problem rather than expecting Elecraft
to compensate for all of it.  I know that I had started to shut the world
around me completely out because I couldn't hear things clearly.  I demonstrate
that to myself when I forget to put my instruments in when I wake up in the
mornings.

Mark
KE6BB

    On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 6:31:13 PM PDT, Gwen Patton