"It's all about "pruning the search tree," to borrow a term from game theory."

That always struck me as being a bit like trying to whack a pinata while
blindfolded.     Why is it not possible to measure the complex impedance and
compute the solution?  That should be a lot faster than any iterative method.
Sure, it needs a better detector but isn't Elecraft about elegant solutions?

I'll probably find the answer for myself in a while as it's on the list of
things to try with my Kenwood/Elecraft interface (I have LP-100A complex load
impedance available).

Pointers to any failed or successful attempts to do this would be appreciated.

73,
Andy, k3wyc