Components fail for a reason, which almost always is because they have been
over-stressed. Component manufacturers spend a lot of time analyzing their
devices to determine their stress points, failure modes and safe usage areas.
When we design equipment, we look at this information to make sure the
component will perform exactly the way we need it to perform for the lifetime
of the design, and that we do not stress the component so as to make sure that
it remains in the safe zone. This is done for each and every component in the
design. In some cases, such as high availability systems (think telephone
switches and other mission-critical devices) the work is required by the
customer in contracts, in others it is done to reduce the failure opportunities
and thus the need for repairs. The arena of six-sigma design was created to
directly address component design and reduce opportunities for failure.

When approaching a failure of this sort, you have to ask why the component
failed. It didn’t fail on its own, there was some stress that caused it to
fail. Resistor stresses are very well known. When they fail with an
over-heating indication (burn marks, etc), then the over-stress has to be
questioned. You can bet that it comes from having too much drive into the
equipment. At that point, you then need to ask where that drive came from, then
start looking at everything in the overall system for the reason. You will most
likely be surprised where it comes from. The fact that this has happened twice
is an excellent indicator that it is somewhere in the system that has yet to be
properly investigated. I would encourage you to better look into the components
to find out just what is going on. To put it another way, I have reviewed
enough KPA500 log files for this scenario to have an excellent feel for where
these problems arise. It is never the amplifier.

Good luck with your station. I hope you find the issue without too much
difficulty.

73,
Jack, W6FB