Most “pure” SDRs (using wideband direct sampling and no crystal filters)
process all incoming receive samples in large packets.This provides some
economies of scale for signal processing algorithms, but it does impact
latency. In some cases the impact can be dramatic – like 100 to 200 ms QSK
delays.

An alternative is to process only the pan adapter data in large packets. If
such data is only being used for a spectral display, the latency is not an
issue.

In CW mode or in other situations where latency must be low, time-domain DSP
routines can optionally be used for processing data from the slices (signal
channels) used for demodulation. Latency as low as just a few milliseconds is
then possible, contingent on the level of filtering required. Filtering trade
offs can be automated, e.g. in proportion to the QSK delay setting.

Wayne

----
elecraft.com