Jim is using the NEC terminology of "phase" meaning any hot conductor, not that two of the three phases are brought into service entrance.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 5/20/2019 8:41 AM, Chris Cox, N0UK wrote:
Sorry, I'm not being pedantic but standard US home supply is NOT two phaes
plus ground, it is still single phase 120-0-120 Vac with the 0 volt being
grounded and tied to the neutral line for each of the two anti-phase hot
lines.

The power is distributed around the area as three phase and each of those
three phases is then typically split between three properties at the
outdoor powerpole.

--
73 Chris Cox, N0UK, G4JEC
chr...@chris.org