Dave:
For the most part I get through security without any problems.  I just did a round trip to PJ4 and no one in security seemed to blink.  IMHO, it really depends on the person running the xray machine.  Last year I had a 1500 watt amp and K3 with me, and neither was even opened.  If anything, keyer paddles, at least those with a heavy brass base, seem to catch their attention. Wires, coax, fishing reels, big variable capacitors, all didn't get a blink of the eye.  However, last year I did lose a drill index in a carry-on to security.  Some other tools can be an issue.  Oh, last year I had a freeze bag full of adapters that caught their eye.  One year I even carried my K3 in my back pack. They wanted to know what it was, took a look, and then put it away.

IMHO, keep any sharp objects in your checked baggage and don't lose any sleep over it.

73 charlie, k1xx