In other trips, I have carried a camera backpack that far exceeds those
widths, even on CRJ's in the Caribbean.  There was no way I was checking a
camera back worth a lot of money and far more fragile than my Amateur
equipment.

You will have to be nice and work with the people at check in.   I find
them very accommodating.

Mike va3mw