Regarding "heavy gauge wire", I suggest one measure the voltage drop using a DVM connected direct between the power supply Pos terminal and the radio Pos terminal.   Likewise do the same for the Neg DC line.   Put the radio in CW mode and close the key for rated output.    If one finds more than 0.25 volts drop in either the Pos or Neg line, I'd say that attention to the power cable and connectors would be in order.   Also measure between radio ground and power supply ground.   Again a voltage value greater than 0.25 volts indicates attention to the power distribution system and station equipment grounding is needed.

73

Bob, K4TAX