The company for which I previously worked designed and built recording studio consoles.   In order to eek out every bit of noise, that is achieve the lowest noise floor, it was necessary to crimp and then solder the lugs on the power supply cables on both ends.  Crimping was only OK and was done until it was discovered that also soldering the lugs did lower noise floor a few dB. This leads me to conclude that crimping AND soldering is preferred, leading to a lower resistance connection.

For lightning grounding, joints and terminations, soldering alone is not permitted.  Crimping is required.

Yes, lugs can not be soldered alone.  They must be crimped first and THEN soldered.    At the same time, some installations of aeronautical equipment, along with NASA procedure, I do understand does indicate sweating solder into the lug and it thereby wicking up into the stranded wires makes for a "stiff" connection.   This connection is reported to break under vibration conditions.   I've personally never experienced such with ham equipment, although I've never carried any into space.  I suppose there is merit to this directive.    Perhaps you FAA and NASA types can expand this thought.

I am also aware with power distribution systems, a.k.a TVA,  it is quite common to use a crimp method to join wires.   These conductors  are several thousand circular mills in size and are of many layers of stranded conductors.  When properly and completely crimped by a hydraulic crimp machine, the joint is void of space. If fact, having cut one of these in half just to see for myself, it appeared as a solid rod with no voids observed.  Thus the strands were compressed to that degree.    The center strand was steel as the messenger and the five outer layers of aluminum were alternating in direction of rotation, clockwise wound and counterclockwise wound.

In most cases, crimping connectors with a crimping tool which has the correct die for the connector is noted to be satisfactory.  On the other hand, I've seen many cables in various ham applications which were installed using what ever was handy to mash the sleeve.   That is NOT crimping.  Crimping does not distort the tubular diameter nor round shape of the sleeve as the correct size die prevents distortion of the sleeve.   A correct crimping tool puts a dimple in one side of the sleeve.

And now you know the rest of the story.

73

Bob, K4TAX