With my K3S I do find there is a relationship or interaction with the scan rate of the ALC display and the frequency of the tone supplied by FT-8.   Specifically 1500 Hz will appear to have fluctuating ALC display while the actual level is not changing. By setting the tone, TUNE is a good application to do this, to some value higher or lower than 1500 Hz will eliminate the display fluctuations.   WSJT defaults to 1500 Hz for TUNE mode.

Also if the Line Gain set via the MIC level control is less than 25 or so, the granularity of the adjustment becomes critical.   It is suggested to lower the PWR slider on the WSJT application and raise the value for the Line Gain to some value between 30 and 40.  This also applies to the value of SPKR level from the computer.  Again typically 30 to 40 are good values giving smooth level resolution and changes.

73

Bob, K4TAX