I have a KX3 instead of a KX2, but I frequently go out in the field to play
radio at local parks and other scenic spots. I have a number of antennas,
but one of my favorites is one I built recently, a link dipole for 40, 30,
and 20. It's tuned for the CW portions of the bands, so it doesn't need
much tuning, but if I want to work phone I hit the internal tuner just to
tweak it a little bit. I suspend it on top of a 20-foot telescopic
fiberglass pole from SOTABeams, secured in a drive-on mount and held down
by one of the tires of my E-150 conversion van. I run it in inverted-V
configuration, using stakes or photographers' sandbags at the far ends if
the location doesn't like stakes.

I didn't bother with baluns or anything. I just wired the coax to the
midpoint and trimmed it up that way using an analyzer. I get good results
with it on CW or phone, easily going from the Philadelphia suburbs to the
Michigan Upper Penninsula on 40m phone with 10 watts. If I find that I'm
getting stray RF, I have a big isolator choke I can run the line through
that clobbers it nicely.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

--