Terry,

The KX3 has internal protection, but a fused power lead (only necessary in the positive lead) provides additional protection. That is important IMHO when powered by an external battery - there is a lot of energy in a battery, and if the wire is pinched and shorts, it will spew molten metal.

Fuse close to the power source, NOT the radio end of the power cable.

73,
Don W3FPR