Back when Halted Specialties Company (HSC) was in business in the SF Bay Area I bought a PIXIE2e kit from them for $14.95.  It is a crystal controlled direct conversion transceiver using only a 2N2222 oscillator and LM386 audio amp on a 1" x 2" PCB.  It came with crystals for 80m and 40m.  RF output 200-300 mW with a 9v battery. I never built it and dug the kit out of my "archives."  I'd be glad to offer it up as a design or evaluation candidate.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ