You're right, Joe: you don't want to push predistortion to the max available
power out on a given band. It may be a little less than 100 W to ensure
headroom under all load conditions.

And these days, predistortion is done with DSP. The K4 has a lot more
horsepower in this regard than the K3/K3S.

Wayne
N6KR