The Breune Bridge directional coupler, designed by and named for Warren Breune
of Collins Radio, can be a very accurate and useful device for measuring power.
I was lucky to learn about it from W1FB when we both worked at the League.
Elecraft has used it in several radios, including the K2.

We moved to the two-toroid directional coupler many years ago when we went to
higher power designs. This coupler has the advantage that it is the turns count
on the toroids that determines the amount of signal available at the sampling
port. I believe the KPA500 uses a 30db coupler (not exactly 30db, but very
close). There are no capacitors or pots to adjust, so the measurement accuracy
essentially is determined by the tolerance of the components in the circuit -
namely the resistors and capacitors, as well as the measurement device. These
days that is the ADC on the micro controller that is calculating and displaying
the measurement.

As in all measurement devices, the accuracy is not absolute, but depends on
these tolerances. We provide the ability to adjust the measurement data so that
if you have a highly accurate and well calibrated device, you can use it to
calibrate the power that the Elecraft device displays.

Warren Breune created some really fantastic things, including the directional
coupler that bears his name.

73!
Jack, W6FB