> ...ofter used in telephone systems, etc. - so just by looking at the jack,
> it is not possible to identify its use and pinout.

Bingo. While I'm learning a lot about the difficulty of USB from this thread,
it's surprising how many "technically savvy" people here remind me of my
non-technical wife, who I recently caught sticking a random AC power supply
into a random cordless phone and assuming it would work "because it fits". (To
my frustration, it did. "What are you so bent out of shape about?" she asked.)

DE9's have been used for so many things that it's not reasonable to assume (a)
that you know what the connector is for or (b) that you know how the cable
you're about to use is wired.

I agree that it would be nice if the K2 was a USB device that I could plug into
my computer and have it instantly understand, but I can do that with a $30
cable so that problem is already solved IMHO.

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966
K2/100 #4941