Just my opinion, not looking for an argument (when I asked this question, it
was the many opinions that helped me decide mrore than the arguments over who
is more right):

I chose just the KX1 because I wanted an easily portable transciever.  While
the K1 is that too, I liked the more all-in-one-ness of the KX1.  I also plan
on doing more experimenting in future, which many convinced me would be more
suited to the K2 because of more space available in the case and on the boards.
 But I still liked size and the simplicity of the K1.  It was then when I
started looking at the K1 and what I wanted it to do, and how much it would
cost me to get to where I want with it.  The K1 is almost 62% the price of the
K2, and the K2 is (according to most who actually own both) so much better of a
rig.

  fully kitted KX1: $502
  fully kitted K1 (w/ extra 2-band module): $611
  fully kitted QRP/CW K2: $982

I plan on getting a K2 in the future, so why would I want a K1 as well (though
many do and will).  And now, with the addition of 80m on the KX1, I am sold on
it alone.  There are many other reasons to like the KX1 more for me as well
(DDS and wider VFO range, SW BC RX coverage.

Of course, if I ever do get into mobile (car) QRP CW, I will look to the K1 to
fill that role.  It seems to me that it would suit it so well.

David, K3TUE
.