Wayne,

This information is extremely interesting and more than a little unexpected.  I
am fascinated by the capability of the KX2 (mine is 2.5 years old), but its
internals have very little isolation and protection from adverse ambient
conditions...an essemtial requirement for most gear in military service.

1.  Is the KX2 supplied by Elecraft identical to those supplied to amateurs?
It would be interesting to know if and what its military users have fashioned
some protection from the elements.  At the least, the aftermarket Kx22 heat
sink, SideKX left side panel, and SideKX cover would seem appropriate.

2.  Is the KX2 being supplied by external DC power?  I'd predict short life for
the speaker connections with frequent removal of the bottom cover for KXBT2
replacement.

3.  The stock KX2 (unfortunately) provides no transmit coverage outside the ham
bands except 5.06 to 5.45 MHz for 60m.  Is a special firmware load being used
to permit general coverage transmit?

4.  Federal agencies (including CAP, but not MARS) normally use radio equipment
compliant with standards established by the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration (NTIA) which manages the use of all federal
spectrum.  Agencies self-evaluate equipment specs using information supplied by
the equipment manufacturer.  The CAP currently shows at

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/emergency-services/radio/communications/radios-radio-network

a broad spectrum of ham and commercial gear in which only the FT-817 with
TXCO-9 meets NTIA specs.  They evaluated the K2, K3S, and KX3.  I suspect the
military users of the KX2 have not formally evaluated its NTIA compliance.

US military agencies have sometimes adopted commercial radio gear with no
changes.  In 1965 the Collins KWM-2A MF/HF SSB/CW transceiver was adopted as
the RT-718/FRC-93 ...and it had very little protection from adverse
environmental conditions.

73
Mike / KK5F