As a former DoD contractor:  Both the FAR and DFARS have specific sections defining the requirements for the DoD to purchase Commercial Off-The-Shelf [COTS] hardware and software products.  Much of those sections is devoted to who owns the patents/copyrights and distribution rights.  It's nearly always up to the Program staff and Contracting Officer regarding technical specifications, however the competition rules still apply if there is more than one available product that meets the specifications. A program can purchase "samples" for evaluation from any mfr and I'd guess that the KX2 has little or no competition.

Products that are for general military needs [e.g. ruggedized vehicles, flight and space qualified devices, etc.] are almost always purchased via contract, often as Task Orders on IDIQ [indefinite delivery indefinite quantity], multi-vendor contracts.

Personally, I think it's cool!  In the 60's in SE Asia, our "portable" A/G radios were 35 lb back packs [AN/PRC-10's] and the dry cell batteries would last a few hours ... unless you transmitted.  Can't imagine how a KX2 would have changed things on mission for us. [:=)

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County