I must respectfully disagree.

Often, PDF is read-only.  Sometimes you can break that, sometimes you can't.

You need a PDF reader. I suspect we all have them, but you can't open it in most word processors.

Rich Text Format (.rtf) is pretty much universal, can be opened (and edited) by every word processor I'm aware of, and because it does not have a macro facility, it doesn't carry malware.

73 -- Lynn