It is dependent on scale, David.  The USAF flies large fleets of a number of different A/C and has in-place materiel warehousing and distribution facilities.  They also have extensive records on "requirements," the failure rate of components.  So, for them, and some civilian A/C maintenance facilities, it makes super sense.  Many A/C have thousands of flying hours left after the parts supply dries up.  B-52's first flew in 1952, and they still are.  Almost nothing on them is original anymore.

My suggestion was just a feeble attempt at humor however.  I guess it was even more feeble than I thought. [:=)

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County