There is a lot of antenna misinformation on this list. Your initial assumption is basically correct. A vertical does not have low angle radiation unless you have a perfect ground, it will then low pseudo-brewster angle which is very effective. A 1/2wl or higher 40m dipole is actually a very good antenna and 2el shorty 40 or even rotatable dipole is even better. A simple antenna model will show the gain and pattern for all of these options.

GL
John KK9A

Duane wrote:

From what I understand - solid rock below a raised vertical is not the best option for performance. With an underlying geography of many feet of solid metamorphic rock - that would probably rule out the low angle benefits of vertical antennas.

Consequently, over the years, every 40m vertical I've ever put up has been out-performed by a dipole at .41 wavelength. I've also tried the DX-Half Square and vertical Delta Loop with the same results.

It looks to me like my only option to outperform a 40m dipole - is a tower and (at minimum) a 2EL yagi.

Would that assumption be correct?
Thanks
Duane