Hi Clay,

This thread is a discussion about the relative performance of top-of-the-line
modern transceivers in the most demanding situations faced by serious SSB
contest competitors. The vast majority of transceiver users have no concerns
about the performance of their transceiver under these conditions.

We're discussing the most demanding situations affecting transceiver
performance: weak -- often distorted -- SSB signals surrounded by
much stronger adjacent channel QRM. For much of the time on
20 and especially 40 meters the adjacent much stronger signals overlap
well into the receiver bandwidth. Typical spacing between SSB signals
is only 1.5 kHz, if you're lucky its 2.0 kHz and only rarely 2.5 kHz or more.
This situation is rather unimportant for the casual contester, but its a
game changer at the upper levels of serious SSB contest competition.

For transmitted SSB signals we're concerned about situations where our
transmitted signal is relatively weak and surrounded by much stronger
adjacent channel QRM. The adjacent signals usually overlap well into the
transmitted signal bandwidth and the other operator's receiver has
much lower performance that our top-of-the-line radio.

73
Frank
W3LPL