Bottom Line:  As in many things....  "It's the Indian, not the arrow."  Though, I still prefer to have the best bow and arrow that I can possibly afford.

And as for me, "mission accomplished". <smile>  (100% self-funded) <wink>

The same was true in 2018. Of course, they get the best radios, delivered at
the competition. Thus the radio choice tends to be biased by the fact that the
contesters may not be paying for their radios, or having to hand-carry them to
the competition.

As for the winners, we have seen many times that the contesters who are most
familiar with propagation in the area where the competition is held will win.
This was true in Massachusetts, Germany, and will undoubtedly be true in Italy.
The top guys travel to the areas to get a feel for propagation, but having
experience there for a long time makes a huge difference.
In WRTC, it isn’t so much the radio, but rather the experience in the zone that
matter the most. Radios, logging software, antennas, etc are pretty much even.
The ops themselves make the big difference.

73!
Jack, W6FB