Kevin,

I'm glad to hear you operated FD this weekend.

I read your earlier message and was concerned, but didn't know what to
say.  We would have been glad to have your as part of our effort.  We ran
2 SSB, 2 CW, and the GOTA and VHF+ stations that can go with this.  I've
been very happy with the local club and their FD operation.  This was my
first time with them since 2003 which was my first FD (I headed the GOTA
effort that year).  Military obligations had me in Hawaii for the 2004
operation and Ohio last year.  I was able to find clubs to operate with in
both cases.  The hour I ran one of the stations in KH6 was my first
experience under a pileup.  I think I ran more QSOs in that hour than I
had in my log at home after a year.

When I was first licensed about 20 years ago, my elmer (W5NK) demonstrated
operating techniques by having me watch him do a few QSOs as 1E (he ran
from a battery).  I didn't operate a FD until 2003.  I was really looking
forward to it and had a blast.  This was also quite necessary as I didn't
get a HF radio until 6 month later.  And I only been really active for the
last six months.  Before that, I did a limited effort in contests and many
Public Service events.  I also did a deployment to Mississippi in the
aftermath of Katrina.

Sorry for the long winded response.  My points are:

1. I'm glad to hear you operated (I'm sorry I don't yet have the skill to
work you.)

2. Find another group.  A club can be a great source of support and ideas.
 I probably wouldn't be as active without the local club.

3. There is room for solo and group operations.  I respectfully disagree
with those suggesting avoiding groups.

4. I have a K1 and look forward to working you on the ECN.

Clark B. Wierda
N8CBW (SSB/Digital operator for W8UM/W8PGW 4A MI effort)