Ralph,

You answered your own question although part of your description doesn't
logically make sense.  If the chain link fence is the source of the mixing,
how can your FT-1000 out-perform your K3?  If the mixing occurs in the fence
(very possible at a dissimilar junction), then that junction generates an
unwanted signal in the bands you use.  Only disconnecting the antenna from
the transceiver will solve that problem.  The filter protects the
transceiver's front end and has no impact on the fence's mixing capability.

I used to work for the company that operates our local (770-KKOB) 50 KW
electron emitter.  It is line-of-sight from our home.  I use a high pass
filter in between the antenna and K3 to reduce its impact on 160m.  The
"standard" MFJ antenna analyzer won't work properly with that much RF in the
neighborhood.

Living in New Mexico, rust is not a big problem for chain link fences or
cars/trucks.  However, the 50 KW transmitter is a huge problem for many
devices, especially telephones, in the neighborhood.  We used to provide a
lot of phone line ferrite filters before cell phones became so abundant.

It's difficult to solve problems without understanding their causes.  Good
luck!  73, Bill, K8TE

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/