Ralph,  it is very easy to see if the mixing is happening in a RX or spectrum
analyzer is to just dial in some attenuation.  If the problem is within the
device and you put in 10 dB of attenuation you will typically see a much
greater decrease in the inter mod, probably 20 dB or much more.  If the
mixing happens outside the RX, a 10 dB attenuation should result in a 10 dB
reduction of the inter mod.  On the lower HF bands, with reasonable
antennas, preamps are not usually required or even recommended.  Sometimes even
folks use some attenuation on say 160 meters.  There are
many possibilities for external mixing, not just the ones you mentioned.  For
example in other devices in house, such as a transmitter, TV preamp,
SWR meter on another antenna, etc.  Just one example I recently encountered, My
160 meter preamp I used on my RX array mixed two
AM radio stations.  It had back to back “protective” diodes. After I abandoned
this published design, I built a very robust preamp, no protective
diodes were necessary, and I was able to use the array from below 500 KHz to
well over 7 MHz without a BPF or HPF.  I would guess that the
mixing is occurring in your immediate neighborhood, not many hundreds of yards
away.  I would walk around the area with a portable SW
RX, even a less than $100 one or even a thrift store battery powered one will
probably be plenty sensitive, at least mine picks up SW stations
many thousands of miles away with it’s 3 foot whip antenna.            Rick
KL7CW  no problems with my K3S.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10