I do use ALC between my KPA500 and my K3S.   I do find that the ALC setup and calibration is critical for correct operation.  As to the effects of it being set incorrectly, I can't say.   I do know it must be done for every band and the amp ALC will be displayed on my K3S.   The amp ALC THR value on my amp runs from 145 to 120 depending on band.   One value does not work for all bands.

73

Bob, K4TAX