From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bob Witmer
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 11:31 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] An Unusual KPA-500 Failure - That Wasn’t ...

I thought the group might find a recent KPA-500 troubleshooting experience
interesting - and possibly be of help with future troubleshooting efforts.

For reference, my station consists of a TS-890 followed by a KPA-500 and a
KAT-500, that interfaces different wire antennas depending on the operating
band.

One Friday night after dinner, I headed to the ham shack to check out 160M.
Since it had been raining I needed to check the antenna SWR.  After completing
a KAT-500 (KAT)  tuning cycle at low power, I had a new tuning solution and
switched in the KPA-500 (KPA) for confirmation.  I started at low power and
slowly increased the power level.  At around 100 watts output from the KPA I
was rewarded with what I call the “Allen-Bradley” smell, a slight cloud of
smoke and a KPA low voltage alarm!  I immediately cut power and tried to reset
the KPA alarm but couldn’t by cycling the power off/on. So I unplugged the KPA
from the AC power.  After reconnecting the power and turning the KPA on, the
alarm was gone. I repeated the tuning process, with almost the same results
except the smell and smoke were more noticeable.  At this point I took the KPA
completely off line, disconnecting all control and RF connections, and raised
the power out level of the TS-890 to 90 watts, which then confirmed normal
operation via the KAT.  At this point I began to think about returning the KPA
for repair and wondered how long it would take to get it back, considering
COVID-19 issues.

For some reason I decided to try the KPA500 - KAT500 pair one more time.  This
time I moved closer to the KPA500 to try to get a clearer idea of where the
“smoke” was coming from.  I slowly raised the power one more time and the KPA
shut down just like before, but this time I noticed the “smoke” was coming from
what looked like the rear of the amp.  I moved the KPA and noticed the smell
was still very strong - and at the rear of the KPA.  It was then I noticed that
the AC line surge suppressor the KPA was plugged into, in a wall socket
directly below the back of the operating table with the KPA, was the source of
both the smell and “smoke”.  I bypassed the suppressor and was relieved when
the KPA returned to normal operation.

Somehow, when the current draw through the suppressor reached a certain level,
failing internal suppressor component(s) overheated and presented a line
voltage drop to the KPA500 sufficient to trigger the internal low operating
voltage alarm.  With the suppressor located directly behind and below the KPA,
it seemed like the smell and smoke were coming from the KPA - and the KPA was
failing since the KPA low voltage alarm activated.

So of course, always check to make sure the equipment you’re troubleshooting is
actually “plugged-in” (following troubleshooting safety guidelines) - but also
check to make sure any in-line power surge suppressors are working correctly.

73,

Bob,  W3RW