Jim:

> On May 24, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Frank. IMO, this sort of clarification ought to be in the FD RULES,
> not in an FAQ.  We've done 1AB QRP for at least 8 years using N1MM on a
> laptop running on a generator.
>
> A few of the slower NUCs will run on 12V and are adequate for logging. Would
> this ruling mean that its monitor must not run on a generator or mains power?
>
> What if the transmitter is being keyed by a WinKeyer which is controlled from
> a computer running on a generator?

I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on television, nor did I stay at a Holiday
Inn Express last night….  ;-)

It seems to me that the ’spirit’ of the FD rules is that anything that impacts
the transmission/reception/interpretation of RF communications cannot be on a
commercial power source if the site is going to claim ‘emergency power’ as the
power source.

So if a Local Area Network is installed to pass data between stations at the
site for logging purposes or coordination of transmissions, or is involved with
digital signal modes, or if there is  computer equipment, monitors, or
ancillary equipment is used as part of the system to process information as
part of the overall operation, then they all must be off commercial power if
‘emergency power’ is to be claimed as the power source.  A Flex system that
uses the LAN to communicate between Maestro, Antenna Genius, PGXL
Amplifier,etc.  may only be running CW and SSB without a PC would have to have
that LAN on emergency power as the LAN is integral to the setup/operation of
their communications equipment.  If a laptop is running SSDR and has an
external monitor, both devices would need to be off commercial power.  If a
laptop is logging contacts or being used for digital modes, it and anything
else attached to it would also need to be “off the grid” to claim emergency
power status.

The bottom line is that those that are involved with the design/installation of
a field day site shouldn’t be looking for ‘exceptions’ to the rules but ask
themselves whether their site setup meets the ‘intent’ of the rules.

Or, to put it another way, if the site did have a commercial feed available and
that feed was lost due to a power outage, would the site be able to continue
operating regardless on the existing sources of power that they’ve installed at
the site?  If the answer is “no” (e.g. they need to rewire/reconfigure to
accommodate the loss of commercial power to keep operating as intended), then
that site doesn’t qualify as running on emergency power until such time as they
can indeed operate from start to finish without interruption.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX