The field day rules need to be reviewed and corrected, not just for allowed
power sources.

Take this for example -

"3. Date and Time Period: Field Day 2020 will be held June 27-28. Field Day is
ALWAYS the fourth full weekend, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and ending at
2059 UTC Sunday.
 3.1. Class A and B (see below) stations that do not begin setting up until
1800 UTC on Saturday may operate the entire 27-hour Field Day period.
 3.2. Stations who begin setting up before 1800 UTC Saturday may work only 24
consecutive hours, commencing when on-the-air operations begin.
 3.3. No class A or B station may begin its set-up earlier than 0000 UTC on the
Friday (Thursday afternoon or evening local time) preceding the Field Day
period. Cumulative set-up time shall not exceed a total of 24 hours."

This rule set allows a 1E station to operate for almost 27 hours.  The contest
start and end times are defined in rule 3.0.  None of the subordinate rules say
that a 1E station that performs all setting up after 1800 UTC Saturday is not
allowed to operate for the full contest period.

It takes me less than 1 hour to convert from mains power to running the entire
station on a generator.  The rules, as published, allow me to connect and start
the generator after 1800 UTC Saturday and continue operating until 2059 UTC
Sunday.

ARRL representatives have told me that 1E stations may operate only 24 hours
but the rules don't say that.

73,
Andy, k3wyc