I use a Shure SM-58 mike with my K3S. It is a balanced dynamic mike.

It has an XLR at the mike and the 8 pin Foster connector at the radio.  I use good quality, 2 conductor, shielded mike cable.

It is wired as follows:

XLR pin #1 to Foster pin #8  {shield}

XLR pin #2 to Foster pin #1  {black}

XLR pin #3 to Foster pin#7 {white}

Operating 160M - 6M at 500 watts or less, I find no issues with the wiring convention as it works very satisfactory.

73

Bob, K4TAX