Barney,

I assume you are talking about a K3/K3S or KX3.
For those you need to increase the audio drive so you have 4 bars solid showing on the ALC meter with the 5th flashing. That is the NO ALC point on those radios. It is required for proper power control.
See the article on my website www.w3fpr.com for more detail.

I don't know if that will help with the spurs, but it will help with your power output and keep the radio from Power Hunting.

73,
Don W3FPR