The 'peak' on L34 is very broad and difficult to discern.  It ideally should
be adjusted for the best signal to noise ratio.

If you use the 7000 KHz 'birdie' (no antenna connected), you can usually
hear the signal peak especially if you listen for the noise to minimize.  A
Spectrogram display will also show it if you look for the maximum signal
amplitude that is also consistent with minimum noise.

Yes look first for the peak at the 1 to 1 1/2 turns from the top, but if you
are unable to discern it, just set the slug at 1 turn from the top and let
it go at that.

73,
Don W3FPR