With all due respect, Rick, that argument works both ways.

I see why people would want to go on a DXpedition.  It's quite an adventure.

I can understand certificate hunting, DXCC and all of that.

I get the people who are totally into linking VHF/UHF via the Internet.

There is a vast amount of fun building radios, and there are similar "homebrew" opportunities. I know, I've done a lot of homebrew software.

Then there is slow-scan TV, and in some metropolitan areas, fast-scan TV.

I spent many an evening Transmitter Hunting, but to many driving around on a rainy night with a 4 element 2m quad sticking out the window is excessive.

I got my Extra so I could become a Volunteer Examiner.

I know I've left out a lot, but it's all important to the hobby. Every single niche and variation.

I'm simply not attracted to FT-8.

I understand that someone has taken the ideas behind the low bandwidth encoding and etc. and turned it into something you can chat through, and that sounds like fun to me.

As usually, YMMV.

73 -- Lynn