"It would be handy if it repeated the rs232 so you could leave the computer
hooked up for the utility."

I doubt any design change would be required.  The display device would simply
have its TX line disconnected and it would listen to KPA500 responses to
utility polling.   In my system that's done with a multiplexing relay so it can
be used with or without the utility with no cable re-configuration.

In my opinion the parameters that are useful when monitoring a KPA500 are PA
dissipation and PA efficiency.  This device displays neither.

Andy, k3wyc