On 8/3/2020 6:58 PM, Ron Manfredi wrote:
I tried both an amplified Motorola speaker and a small MFJ unit, but when using SSB (10-15 Watts) at home into a beam or into a dummy load I can hear myself quite clearly in the speaker, so RF is getting in somehow.

Powered speakers have a power amplifier built in, which are notorious for RF susceptibility. The causes are typically poor shielding and/or Pin One Problems, but things we do wrong (or fail to do) in the shack or with our antennas can put lots of RF into a powered speaker, making it more likely for RFI to occur. Motorola products are generally designed for UHF 2-way applications, and are unlikely to have been designed for use around HF transmitting antennas.

What antenna system are you using? If it's some form of end-fed wire ending in the shack, does it have a counterpoise? It should. If up in the air with a feedline, does it have a serious common mode choke at the feedpoint? How is your station bonded? How is it grounded?

Station grounding and bonding is covered here.
http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

RFI is covered here. The chokes recommended for killing noise would also appropriate for cables feeding the speaker (both power and audio). http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

Transmitting chokes are covered here. http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

73, Jim K9YC