I have an R-4A which is about the same as the R-4B in most respects.  I
would say that the performance is very good, but not as good as the K2 in
several areas.

(I also had the original R-4, and it is also about the same in performance.
The differences between the R-4, A, and B are the number of tubes vs.
transistors, and the location of the AF gain control).

The L/C filters are not as good as the xtal filter in a crowded band.  For
rag-chewing, they are fine. But in a contest with a lot of very strong
signals around, the R-4 doesn't hold up well.  It may be due to the skirt
selectivity of the L/C being wider than the xtal filters.

The older R-4 has some detectable hum in it.  This is very noticeable with
very sensitive headphones.  I use an external passive audio filter which
helps quite a bit.  But there is always a little there.  (I may also need to
replace all of the electrolytics in my particular receiver).

Then there is the size, the heat generated, the power consumed, the need for
an external speaker, the eventual maintenance required, etc.

I use the R-4A with the T-4X transmitter, and the combination is a joy to
use for CW rag chewing.  The R-4 has great AVC action, and so full QSK is
possible with an external t/r switch. The sound of the CW coming from the
T-4X is very nice.  Together they make a nice combination, even though there
are 23 tubes total glowing on the dark when they are both on. The old twins
are stable, and they sure look good sitting on the desk.

The first rig that I turn on when I come into the shack is the K2.  If I
need more power, I use a Kenwood TS-930S.  If I am going to rag chew for a
while, I use the Drake twins. It is nice to have the different rigs, and
they all have their good points, but if I had to keep only one, it would be
the K2.

73,

John W2XS