4114T was the BD Balun model #. I'm not putting down there product at all. When strictly using the ATU in the K3 it matched wonderfully. The fly in the buttermilk was when the KPA1500 was thrown into the mix.

Ronnie

-----Original Message----- From: Adrian
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 7:59 PM
To: Ronnie Hull ; Elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] UPDATE KPA1500 on 160M

Ronnie, well done. Moving to a different ratio balun is a smart obvious
move towards obtaining a better match,

especially at higher power maintaining insulation specs required.

From curiosity what was the model number of the BD 4:1 balun you had
initially please ?

On 3/9/20 10:03 am, Ronnie Hull wrote:
The original thread has gone off on some tangents. I truly appreciate all the suggestions.

I seem to have cured the problem!

ORIGINAL ISSUE was using a new W7FG 160m doublet with 600 ohm true ladder line. The ladder line was hooked to a Balun Design 4:1 ( as recommended by the seller of the antenna). The antenna would be matched great in 160M by the internal ATU in the K3 but with the KPA1500 inline it all went north really fast, resulting in the 1500 faulting out

Earlier today I swapped in a DX Engineering maxi core 4:1 and it worked a hell of a lot better but the KPA1500 still could not match it better than 9:1

Mind you this antenna matches superb on other bands with the KPA1500

Also the KPA1500 works great into a dummy load so I knew the issue was the antenna or part of it

Last I put in line a DX Engineering maxi core 6:1 and BAM... it worked!
The KPA1500 matches to 2.5:1 which is good enough for now.

Next I will experiment with the 600 ohm ladder line length. Right now Iā€™m using 57ā€™. I will add 10ā€™ tomorrow and see what shakes out and will let you fellas know

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Ronnie W5SUM