On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:21 AM Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com> wrote:

> ...This past few weeks has been very difficult for California and the Bay
> Area in particular....forests all over the West vulnerable...We had
> employees evacuated due to fires burning....air quality has been
> horrendous...

===============================
The situation in the areas near and around the fires in California is
dreadful, although apparently improving some in the past days. My
daughter-in-law is a grad student at UC Davis (long way from Watsonville,
but threatened by a different fire); her apartment complex was on
evacuation alert for two weeks. The air was so full of smoke that they
couldn't run the AC, with daytime temperatures of 104 degrees. And they
were relatively fortunate, because the eastern edge of the fire that was
threatening them eventually was controlled, and the fire moved northward.
The smoke from that fire reportedly streamed east as far as Indiana. There
are fires in spots all the way from Bakersfield to Mendocino, an area as
big as some states. Much of California is a huge patch of dry tinder, for
the reasons Wayne pointed out in his post, and any lighting strike, any
sparking power line, any cigarette butt can set off a blaze that threatens
life and property on a mass scale. Viewed in perspective, the delivery
schedule of the K4 is a minor issue compared to the widespread havoc that
these fires have engendered.

73,
Tony KT0NY