"The 1500's tuner handles both antennas nicely, and I have trained it on both
of them, but when I switch from the Windom to the sloper (on an external
antenna switch), the output power changes from ~1400 watts to nearly 1700,
often triggering a high current fault.  Any way around that?"

I suspect an effective solution would require the KPA1500, or a smart external
controller, to have an interface with the external antenna switch. On sensing a
switch change the key line should be inhibited and not re-enabled until the
appropriate tuning solution has been selected and verified and the drive power
has also been set and verified.

I face a similar problem with my KAT500/KPA500 combo as I have a manual antenna
select switch in the back yard. My smart controller doesn't help because it
doesn't know the switch selection (yet).

A solution that requires the bin stack to remember power for each solution is
probably doomed to failure until it's possible to "reserve" tuning solutions to
stop them being pushed off the stack.

73,
Andy, k3wyc