It's important to understand that these safety codes are LOCAL -- usually by state, but also by county and/or city. There are "guideline" codes, like the National Electric Code, that are adopted by most local authorities, and those guideline codes are updated every few years. Often the local code (which is the Law) is years behind.

California law DOES require smoke detectors. I don't know enough about the law to know the limitations on type. The ones we have are stand-alone, running on a standard replaceable battery.

73, Jim K9YC