Jack,

I have BOTH the CM-500 and the SB-45, as well as a Heil Proset.

I like all three for different reasons. The CM-500 is comfortable, and has the
best mic boom, it has an enormous output from the electret mic — nearly too
much for my K3. I used it effectively with the K2. The SB-45 is very
comfortable but has a flimsy mic boom that tends to wiggle when I move my head.
I can wear it for hours.

The Heil Proset has the best frequency response in the headphones, and has an
HC-4 element, which is unobtanium today. My problem with it is it hurt my ears
after wearing it for an hour.

I fixed that problem recently by buying some oversize earopads from Brainwavz.
It is now just as comfortable as the CM-500 or SB-45.

> On Nov 1, 2020, at 5:31 PM, Jack Brindle via Elecraft
> <elecraft@mailman.qth.net> wrote:
>
> I bought a new CM-500 set on Amazon about two years ago. They feel great on
> my head and work wonderfully.
> In May I decided to try the Koss SB-45. Price was good (about $30 from
> Amazon). They feel very similar to my Heil headset, meaning about the same as
> putting my head in a vise. Simply too tight on my head, especially for
> wearing them through a 48 hour contest. I went back to the CM-500s. I find it
> worth paying the $60 from Amazon to get these instead of something else.
>
> 73!
> Jack, W6FB
>

>> On Nov 1, 2020, at 2:20 PM, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/1/2020 2:12 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
>>> What are the best replacement headsets these days. Someone said that the
>>> CM-500 has changed for the worse in the last few years.
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> The only issue I've ever had with the CM500 has been a bad cable, and it's
>> happened at least twice. I'm pretty clutzy, so hard on headsets.
>>
>> This piece I wrote for National Contest Journal several years ago includes
>> model numbers a few Koss headsets that hams have liked. They're pretty much
>> the same electrically.
>>
>> http://k9yc.com/ContestAudio.pdf
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC

>> Message delivered to jackbrin...@me.com