I use the CM-500 w/my Yaesu FT-897D as well as with my Kenwood TS-480SAT with no "power adder", works fine.

73 de Jose Douglas KB1TCD

On 11/8/2020 10:03 PM, Jim Rhodes wrote:
Yes, what you said was " Kenwood, Yaesu and Ten-Tec transceivers do not
provide bias for an electret mic *at all*. To use an electret mic with
those transceivers one needs to install a "power adder"". Actually they do
provide bias to their own line of electret mics, so you could have been a
little more specific and said "for non-OEM mics".  We can't tell what you
are thinking when you type.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM Joe Subich, W4TV <li...@subich.com> wrote:

  > NOT SO,  DICK TRACY.   All three manufacturers provide 5-10v bias
  > voltage on either Pin 2 or Pin 5, respectively - (and have done so for
  > many years.)

Read *ALL* of what I wrote.  I indicated that the power is on pin 2
(Kenwood) or 5 (Yaesu/Ten-Tec) but one had to add a 5K6 Ohm resistor
and 1 uF blocking capacitor in order to use an electret mic.  Those
manufacturers do not provide "automatic" operation with the CM500
or other electret mics.

73,

     ... Joe, W4TV